Wednesday, October 7, 2015

I run for...big dreams.

Marathon 1, 2, 3 & soon to be 4!
One run. 2 miles. That is all that stands between me and 26.2 miles. This week I have continued to taper. I always get so restless at this point in the training. I'm running less and it feels weird but I have to trust that I have done everything I have needed to do the last 18 weeks. 18 weeks of 350 miles. I'm at 550 miles for the year so far. I managed to get in two 20 mile runs this year, something I haven't been able to do since marathon training year #1. No illness and no injuries. I've got this.

This week has been an easy one. 6 miles on Monday, 2 mile walk yesterday, and 4 miles this morning. I will rest for the next two days and then do a short 2 mile shake out run on Saturday, the day before the marathon. This last little run is important in order to improve blood flow and reduce pre-marathon jitters. Then...race day.

This year I'm feeling more at peace with marathon day than I ever have before. Once again I am amazed at the places running takes me. Have I ran a marathon before? Yes. Have I ran Chicago before? Yes. But I have never been in this position before where I have 3 marathons under my belt and I'm running a race that I have run before. It's comforting and familiar. I think that has ultimately led me to be at peace about it.


As with my last 3 marathons, when training comes to an end and the marathon is over, I will be thinking about what's next. I will most likely be running another marathon next year. I can't help myself! Sure, I've imagined being someone who runs whenever I have "free time" or someone who runs occasionally for exercise. Then I could devote more time to cycling or swimming or painting or...whatever. I think about it but I know that I would be deeply unsatisfied and unfulfilled. I have no idea how I got here but I know without a doubt that running is my passion. As marathon season comes to an end, I look ahead with BIG dreams for my continued journey in running.

Running is important for all the reasons I have presented in this blog. One of the biggest things that I wanted to accomplish by starting this blog is to show that running is for everyone. It can change your life. Dream BIG and never let your fear hold you back. With running, anything is possible. Truly.


Happy running,
Amanda

*** I can still collect donations for the American Cancer Society up until Monday, October 26th!!! If you have not donated yet, do it now! This is for a good cause and our team is so close to reaching our goal of 1.5 million dollars!! Go to the link here to donate! Thank you!***

No comments:

Post a Comment