Saturday, September 28, 2013

I run for...freedom.


9/28/13 - 4.36 mi

Today I did what I like to call a "free" run. Free from tracking my pace. Free from time constraints. Free from gadgets, accessories, and running gear. Just me, my shoes and the open road. I think it's really important to "free" run often, especially if training for a race. It can be really easy to get caught up in "Am I going to PR?" (PR - personal record aka PB - personal best) and a lot of runners get burnt out when they are not progressing like they want. "Free" running reminds you of the pure simplicity of running. It doesn't matter if you win the race. It doesn't matter if you PR. All that matters is that you run. I've said it before…running is one of the most natural processes for your body. It's part of our human development. By 20 months of age, we learn to run. Why do we ever stop?! You should be running. Remember that!

 

Today's "free" run was really important for me. As I mentioned in one of my first posts, this blog has a lot to do with holding myself accountable. As such, I have a confession to make. I have not ran since my 21 mile run on 9/14! I've walked a lot and exercised in other ways but not one single run in 2 weeks. I have been feeling overwhelmingly incomplete. I was starting to doubt my abilities big time. I was even thinking about switching from running the full marathon to the half marathon in November. Today I woke up prepared to run. I knew I needed to revitalize my commitment to my training so I decided to "free" run. As soon as I took my first step, I remembered that I LOVE to run and my confidence reappeared. Yes, I took two weeks off from my training but my endurance barrier has been set. I just ran 21 miles two weeks ago!! I still have over a month left of training. I still have one more 20+ mile run before marathon day. To think that I doubted myself is crazy!! Of course I can do this. And that is what the power of the "free" run can do for you.

Next week's plan - maintenance runs on Sunday, Monday & Wednesday and interval training (12 - 1 milers) on Saturday.

Excited to get back into the groove. Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment