Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I run for...fulfillment.




...for fulfillment!

Today is National Running Day!! I logged my 6 miles this morning on the treadmill while watching the documentary Desert Runners. This movie inspired me to write this blog post today because I think my goals have changed quite a bit from when I started training for my first marathon. I’ve said many times that my first marathon was for me, to prove to myself that I could do it. Well, now I know I can do it. I’ve done it 3 times!! My continued pursuit of running, training for marathons, and pushing myself farther now comes from something innate within me.

In the beginning posts of this blog, I talk about the person I used to be; always scared of life. I felt crippled by my inadequacies and therefore, frozen in time, unable to move forward. It was no easy task working through this. It was a journey that took several years; several years of soul searching and rediscovery that ultimately made me who I am today. I’ve learned a lot about this “new” me over the years and my triumph over training and running my first marathon has taught me that my running adventures fulfill me. 

Every run is an adventure. Every race. Every marathon. No one run is ever the same as the last. I discover new things about myself on a run ALL. THE. TIME. It still amazes me although I should be used to it by now. Today as I was running, watching Desert Runners, I felt something stir deep inside of me. There it was….that desire for more and more challenges, for adventure, for fulfillment. About Desert Runners: this documentary follows competitors attempting to run four desert ultra marathons (250Ks) in a year – a Grand Slam. (Watch it on Netflix!) To most, this sounds absolutely insane. Not me. I am truly inspired and stirred by my desire for adventure to go out and do this. Seriously. As I was watching this movie, I would get so emotional watching them start and struggle and then ultimately finish the race. I know that feeling! It’s something that is absolutely indescribable. But you see it in fellow runners, fellow adventure seekers. It’s what drives us. It’s what drives me.



I will probably not set out next year to do this Grand Slam but as crazy as it sounds, it is a goal of mine. I would definitely like to get my feet wet this year doing an ultra – a 50K perhaps or a 24 hour race. My list of goals, challenges, adventures, seems never ending. I want to do it all and nothing can stop me!

Not rain...
Nor snow...

Nor heat...

Nor injury!





I will persevere because I am a runner!
Happy National Running Day!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment