Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I run for...training.


This week is cause for celebration! It's the first week of marathon training! Yippee! Right now I'm feeling hopeful, motivated, and determined. I always feel like the first week of marathon training is the ultimate indicator for how the next 4 months will go. Here's a run down of week 1...

Monday - Cross Training
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 5 miles
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - walk
Saturday - 5 mile pace run
Sunday - 8 miles

This week's cross training consisted of walking. I usually stick to either walking, cycling, or yoga for my cross training days. Each have their unique benefits to marathon training but any form of cross training is absolutely essential. First and foremost is aides in injury prevention and muscle recovery. When you devote so much time to one sport - running - this can lead to overuse injuries. Last year I experienced this firsthand with my plantar fasciitis. So switched gears 1-2 times a week can give those overworked muscles a break and allow for healing. Plus it breaks up the monotony of just running. I've really grown to love cycling over the last couple years, even entertaining the idea of possibly doing a triathlon in my future.

Today's run was my mid-week 5 miler. I opted to run on the treadmill today because the temps would be climbing into the low 90s . Normally with the summer heat and humidity I just get up super early (I'm talking 3 or 4am) for my runs. But unfortunately midweek, since my husband works overnights, I do not have the option to do this. I was fueled by the excitement of beginning my marathon training this morning and pushed myself to go a little faster than I have been the last couple months. Success! I average about 9:44 min/mi. This is actually close to my goal "race pace" for the marathon this year. Gotta get that PR!

So technically, with only 2 runs into my marathon training, I'm feeling quite confident. I think the next 4 months will go smoothly, hitting my pace and mileage goals along the way. Even though this is my 4th time around (I still can hardly believe this) I know this will be a brand new journey.

I know I've already made my first plea for donations for the American Cancer Society but now that marathon training is underway be prepared for more mentions of this as well!  You can donate to the American Cancer Society on my personal Team DetermiNation fundraising page. Just click this link... Cancer Sucks. Any amount that you would be willing to donate would be greatly appreciated and do it now while you're thinking about it!! Thank you all for joining me on this journey again!

Happy running,
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment