Saturday, August 24, 2013

I run for...miles and miles.


Today's run: 20.40miles - 4:06:23 @ 12:04 min/mi

Okay, didn't quite run the 23 miles today but still got my first run over 20 miles in. Which is right about where I need to be. My last long run before today was 17 miles. I shot for 23 just in case I had it in me. But I did not. Haha.

Biggest obstacle today - gravel. It seems that someone freshly graveled all my favorite back roads. Running in gravel is not fun. It is comparable to running in dry sand. Super hard.

Best moment: Halfway through Jon Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer". Sing it with me now…."Oooooh we're halfway there, ooooooh livin' on a prayer"

Pics from my run today:

 

So…what all does it take to run 20 miles (and over)? I thought I'd share some of the ins and outs of my preparation and performance.

First…nutrition and hydration. For me, this generally starts 48 hours before a long run. I make sure that I get a gallon of water in each day 48 hours prior to a long run. Then the day before I always make at least 16 oz made up of Accelerade. Accelerade, used before, during, and after a run, enhances hydration and speeds up recovery. I LOVE Accelerade. Definitely try it out in place of your current sports drink. However, I have learned, through trial and error, that the only thing that works for me during a run is good ol' H20. I've tried Accelerade during training runs and G2 on my marathon day last year. It just doesn't sit well with me.



Nutrition: I'm sure you've heard it before that a day before the race you must 'carb load'. Yes, but I will just add…to an extent. Again, through trial and error, I've learned exactly how many carbs I need to consume to sustain me for a long run the next day. When I'm not preparing for a long run, I follow the IIFYM (if it fits your macros aka flexible dieting) diet. My daily carb intake right now is 186g. When I'm carb loading before a run, I try to at least take in an additional 50-100g of carbs. For the last couple of long runs, I've had Subway sandwiches for lunch and dinner and this has worked perfectly. I've loaded on pasta before, without the heavy tomato sauce, and that has worked too.

Before a run: For breakfast, before any running distance, I stick to four main foods: oatmeal, granola/protein bar, banana, bagel or some combination of those things. As additional energy (caffeine!!), I use Hydroxycut single drink packets. This is in place of my usual morning coffee and provides me with the starting hydration I need.

During a run: During a run you also need to have proper nutrition. After about 45-60 minutes of activity, the glycogen levels in your body are depleted. To sustain your energy, you must supplement during your run. This has taken some trial and error for me too. Whenever I first started training last year, I was SO put off by the texture of the GU gel. I solely used either Clif Shot Blocks or GU Chomps. These have more of a chewy consistency analogous to fruit snacks. But after awhile these became difficult to transport. GU gel is much easier to pack in my hydration belt as it lays pretty flat. So now I solely use GU gel but I've learned I can only use certain flavors (Mandarin Orange, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Outrage) otherwise the texture thing still gets me. As you can see from the picture, I also use Dole Fruit Bites (comes in pineapple, mango & apple). They gave these out as a sample at the Go! St. Louis half-marathon this past April. Yummy!

After a run: Your options for food are more open after a long run but you will want to focus on things that will speed your recovery. For me, my recovery drink is always Accelerade. Food wise it varies greatly. Today I had 2 hard boiled eggs.

Other random things you might need to know:

  • Before running any long distance, you need a proper stretching and warm-up/cool-down routine. This is another one of those things that you will have to experiment with. Before a run, I typically use dynamic stretching in place of the more traditional static stretching. I focus mostly on my legs (duh!) but running is a full body workout so you need to stretch your arms and core as well. And don't forget your ankles! For a warm-up, I will walk to the end of my street (approximately 1/4 mile) and for a cool down I do the same thing. Then, I will do the traditional static stretching when I get home.
  • If you are going to be running any distance over 6 miles (more or less depending on your individual needs) you will need a way to carry your water and supplements with you. For shorter distances, between 6-12 miles, I can usually get away with just my handheld water bottle. This holds 20oz of water and has a pouch for my GU gel. For longer distances, I carry my handheld and I also wear a hydration belt. The bottle on my hydration belt also holds 20oz of water and a pouch for extra GU gel. Depending on temperature (and how prepared you were for the 48 hours before) you might need more than 40oz of water. I have a WONDERFUL husband that will bring me extra water if I need it. I've also taken a detour to my aunt's house before too. If this is not a possibility for you, then you can freeze water bottles the night before and hide them in places along your route.
  • I always make sure I let someone know what my running route is going to be or at least a general idea. This is for safety purposes obviously. But like I mentioned above, I have also had to have my husband come out and bring me water before. He also has come to pick me up when I've pushed myself too hard/far, ripped my pants (no joke), or injured myself.
  • Skin lubrication. You might laugh at this but it is absolutely necessary. Before I knew that this was necessary, I experienced many painful burns, bruises and scrapes from friction caused by bra straps, panty lines or running gear (arm bands, handheld water bottle, hydration belt, etc.). It is necessary. Trust me.
  • Ice baths speed recovery. I have a love/hate relationship with ice baths. No…they don't feel good but then again, they do. After running 20 miles, your legs and feet are going to hurt. Ice baths help ease that pain immediately and jump start recovery.

Now for the really hard part…the mental barrier. Your brain will tell you to stop and you will have to tell it 'no' REPEATEDLY! This is what I've learned works for me at those very crucial moments.

  1. Affirmations - Short, catchy phrases you can use that emanate strength, confidence, and power. I use "I am strong.  I am light. I can do this." And when I'm going up hills, I will repeat "I am strong" over and over. It totally helps me get through it.
  2. Grounding - Being in the present moment is vitally important when you set out to run any long distance. If you're looking at the end goal, you will get discouraged. So I use a simple grounding technique to keep me focused. I will remind myself that "Right now on mile [fill in the blank] I am doing great." Then I take inventory of all the things around me - the scenery, the road, the music I'm listening to, all the ways that "right now, in this moment, I am doing great".
  3. Music - I'm including this here because it does help but it's effectiveness is limited, especially when you don't refresh your playlist every run. But every once in awhile (like today's Jon Bon Jovi) the perfect song will come on at the perfect moment and it can serve as a wonderful distraction. So I guess my advice is to keep mixing it up. :) 

Whew! I am thankful that I don't have another run over 20 miles for 3 weeks. Until then I will continue to share with you my training experience. Next week is interval training!!

No comments:

Post a Comment