Friday, August 23, 2013

I run for...those who cannot.

8/19/13 - 3.87mi @ 42:53 - 11:04 min/mi

8/21/13 - 3.65mi @ 39:55 - 10:57 min/mi


Me & Mark - UIS Ski Trip 2004

This week has been particularly hard on me but it has had nothing to do with my training. Today is the 4-year anniversary of the death of one of my best friends and the first guy I ever loved, Mark. Every day without him is difficult but it gets a little harder every year during this time. Mark was a special person and he made all the people in his life feel special too. Take me, for instance. Even though our relationship never worked out, he still remained faithful in my life as one of my best friends and always took the opportunity to tell me how much I meant to him.

I will often think of Mark when I run. He was a fitness guru. He also loved the movie Rocky (we watched it on our first date). At his memorial service, they played “Gonna Fly Now”, the theme song from Rocky, and it has graced every single one of my running playlists ever since. When that song comes on I am reminded that Mark is no longer with us and I run a little bit harder for him because he can no longer run.
 
I also think of my Mema who lost a battle to cancer almost 10 years ago. And I think of my father who died at the young age of 27 (just 2 years older than I am now). And I run a little bit harder for them.

I think of my Uncle Marty, losing his battle to cancer just this year. On my runs since his passing I will often run through the cemetery next to his grave and give a little “Ooh Ra” for him (retired Marine). And I run a little bit harder.

I think of all the people who are sick, injured or without their freedom and cannot run. And I run for them.
 
Every time that I run I recognize what a gift it is. I can feel it. Running is one of the most natural things that a body does. I try my hardest to not take advantage of that gift. Sometimes it’s thinking of those that cannot run that serves as my motivation out of the door. If you find yourself reading this blog, lacking the motivation, pick someone in your life that you know (or have known) that can no longer run and go out and run for that person. Dedicate the time spent and the effort it took to that person. Think of them as you run and run a little bit harder.

More tomorrow on my 23 mile run! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment